Quinta do Crasto, S.A. is a Portuguese company dedicated to Douro and Port wine production and which received Portuguese SME Leader status in 2015. Its headquarters is in Gouvinhas, in the municipality of Sabrosa in Northern Portugal. This is the heart of the Douro Valley, the first demarcated and regulated wine region in the world, recognised as a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 2001. Quinta do Crasto benefits from exceptional conditions for producing wines and olive oils of the highest possible quality.
Each year, Quinta do Crasto produces 1,400,000 bottles of Douro and Port wines. Twenty-five per cent is sold domestically and the rest is exported to around 50 markets worldwide, on all continents. The last years have witnessed the launch of one new wine per year: Crasto Superior White, a Douro DOC wine, the first wine to benefit from a pioneering and innovative system in Portugal that allows to perform operations of bâtonnage without oxygen incorporation, came out in 2014; Crasto Superior Syrah, a Regional Duriense wine, fruit of innovation that was crafted to conquer new international markets, in 2015; the release of Quinta do Crasto Colheita Port to increase the Port wines offer, which has received the highest international recognitions, in 2016; and, in 2017, Quinta do Crasto released a new Douro DOC wine, Crasto Rosé, with excellent aromatic freshness and a complement to the Crasto range.
In addition to wines, Quinta do Crasto also produces 45,000 bottles of extra virgin olive oil yearly from its own organic groves in the area of Cima Corgo and Douro Superior. Quinta do Crasto stands hands above the domestic market in terms of tourism as well. Not only do visitors get to enjoy tastings of exceptional quality wines that are offered with a service that is highly personalised, but all of this takes place nestled within a landscape of unsurpassed beauty on the right bank of the Douro River.
Quinta do Crasto is an estate that simply cannot be missed by those hoping to enjoy the Portuguese wine country. In 2015, the Quinta welcomed more than 3,500 visitors, mostly from Brazil and Europe and in the same year Trip Advisor, the world´s largest travel site, awarded the estate its Certificate of Excellence. Considerable investment has been made over recent years at Quinta do Crasto to modernise the vineyards and winery facilities so as to ensure the production of high quality wines, year after year. Each of these developments, allied with the passion of an entire team dedicated to seeking out the highest possible quality in wine and other products, have contributed to Quinta do Crasto’s growing national and international reputation.
Located in a prime spot in the Douro Demarcated Region in Northern Portugal, Quinta do Crasto has been in the family of Leonor and Jorge Roquette for more than a century. Like all the other great Douro estates, Quinta do Crasto dates far back into ancient times. The name Crasto comes from the Latin castrum meaning “Roman fort”. The earliest records mentioning Quinta do Crasto and its wine production date back to 1615. It later received Feitoria status (the highest vineyard classification of the time), together with the other noteworthy estates of the Douro Valley. Between 1758 and 1761, the Marquis of Pombal ordered the installation of 335 granite markers – each standing two metres high and 30 x 20 centimetres – to delineate the first ever Demarcated Region in the world. One of these stone pillars, or “marcos pombalinos” in Portuguese, dates back to 1758 and can still be seen today at the Quinta do Crasto nearby the century-old farm house.
In the 1940s, all of these markers were inventoried and declared property of national interest.In the early 20th century, Quinta do Crasto was bought by Constantino de Almeida, founder of the renowned Constantino wine house dedicated to the production and export of Port wine and brandy as well. Their slogan “A fama do Constantino já vem de longe” (“The fame of Constantino dates far back in the past”) has been so popular that it still remains until today.
Following the death of Constantino de Almeida in 1923, his son Fernando Moreira d’Almeida took over the management of Quinta do Crasto and carried on the tradition of producing the highest possible quality Port wine.In 1981, Leonor Roquette, daughter of Fernando Moreira d’Almeida, together with her husband Jorge Roquette, took over majority ownership as well as the management of the estate. With their sons Miguel and Tomás, they began the process of renovating and extending the vineyards. They also began producing the Douro DOC wines that Quinta do Crasto is now famous for domestically and abroad. They are, thus, the fourth generation of the family to manage this emblematic estate that seduces all with the exquisite quality that it confers upon all of its products.